Apps for Productivity
Last week I was really focused on getting some items checked off my “To Do” list. This week we are working together to encourage each other to get more done at the Creative & Crunchy Facebook event – Procrastination Party. Then earlier this week I read a great book review by Crystal on the book The Productivity Project. This all started me thinking about the tools I use regularly to help me stay on track. I know that a lot of my friends don’t use some of the apps they have, maybe just because they didn’t know how to utilize them so I thought I would share some of my favorites here…
Apps You Already Have… But Probably Don’t Use:
- Windows Sticky Notes – Add this one to your task bar. Just right-click on the program icon or the program title in the (for Windows 7, Office 2010 – I am not sure if the new Windows has it) start menu and you can “pin it to your Task Bar”. Now you can click on the sticky notes to quickly copy and paste something that you want to add to a Facebook Status, blog post, your calendar etc. The sticky notes stay until you delete them. Even if you shut down, they “stick”.
- iPad’s “Notes” App – swipe through your apps. It is most likely there on the last page of your iPad screen but have you ever used it? This is a very practical and simple to use app. Quickly and easily save a webpage you want to go back to right from safari. Just tap “Add to Notes” from Safari. You can add your own notes to remind you about what you wanted that web page for and you can create new folders as you need to. Just tap “Edit” to move your notes to the appropriate folders.
- Facebook “Scheduled Posts” – if you haven’t used it, you really should. You can schedule posts to publish at any time during the day and night. Just go to your Facebook page (not your personal page) and click on Publishing Tools – Scheduled Posts – +Create. Add your links, photos and then schedule it for later in the day, or even schedule items to publish next week while you are on vacation!
Apps You Should Check Out:
- Dropbox – sync your laptop, iPad, or phone and you can get to all your docs & files from any of those devices. You can even connect downloads from sites like “Creative Market” and save your graphics right to Dropbox so you can access and use them anywhere.
- Facebook Page Management App by Facebook for iPad – you can answer your messages and see notifications right away with this app. Gets you that speedy answering badge on your page. Get this free app at the App Store.
- 30/30 – this is a new one for me but so far, I am getting a great benefit from it. It is like a Timer – only better. This app lets you set an allotted time for each task and tells you when time is up and to move on to the next task. You can repeat tasks, set up separate task lists (one for home, one for work) and add 5 minutes if you need to finish something up. It comes free with the basic icons, but you can purchase more icons to designate your tasks, because they are cute. This is a free app you can download at the app store for iPhone or iPad.
Putting my focus on working smarter is definitely helping me keep on track. I keep adding things to that “To Do” list, so I need to be productive and efficient every day, otherwise I won’t have time to read all those books on my “To Read” list!